Friday, August 15, 2008

The wheels on the bus go 'round & 'round



Ok, so when your 6 year old starts writing full sentences on the back of the baby, it's time to start school, don't you think? How can I be mad when he writes, "I love you mom and dad?"

Casper really has loved school and his teacher. On Wednesday night as I was tucking him in bed, he so poignantly said, "When I'm at home, I want to be at school and when I'm at school, I want to be at home."

I felt the same way at summer's end. It's been an emotional week for all of us. The time of my life with all 3 kids at home has come to an end and my work now really begins to help them prepare for being on their own someday...I worry what things they'll be exposed to, the innocence that will leave. Yet, I'm excited for the friends they'll make and the things they'll learn to do. Whitney and Stewart missed him terribly. It surprised me how lost Whitney was without her older brother and how overwhelmed she was with being the 'older sister.' I have enjoyed the quieter time in the day to spend one on one with her.



The weekend before school started we kidnapped Matt and went camping, canoeing and fishing for 3 days without showers, flush toilets, TV and cell phones. It was a grueling trip, but beautiful with the rain each night and the cooler days. I'd never been in a canoe before; needless to say it was a little disconcerting to feel every move of my curious and fearless 6 year old, accompanied by the squeals of my fearful and most vocal 4 year old. Stewart was so miserable he fell asleep in the bottom of the canoe. Despite all of Casper's and Matt's efforts, we didn't catch more than a few crawfish.



The kids really progressed in their swimming abilities this summer. Casper is looking forward to being on the swim team next summer. He loved the freedom being able to swim gives him while going down the waterslide and diving with the big guys off of the diving board. Whitney became comfortable enough to completely submerge her face underwater and dive for toys. We're still enjoying our own pool each day after Casper gets home from school. Two weeks ago we had some friends spend the night at our house and for some reason, the younger boy and Casper decided to throw all the rocks and wood they could find into the pool over the fence. I was so shocked I didn't even yell and Casper felt so bad he completely cleaned it up by diving for 45 minutes for all of the rocks.

7 comments:

theloulie said...

Casper is going to do great in school, he writes really well :)

My kids were excited to start school today....so was I!

kjha said...

It's strange isn't it! He'll be just fine because who wouldn't love Casper! Keep the posts coming, it's great to keep in touch.

turning about said...

It has been so much fun reading your blog, keep up the posts!

mytee sooperox said...

Now we know Casper's true calling: tattoo artist. Well, I really hope not! I'm amazed Stewart sat still long enough for Casper to do that.

The HousewifeTravels said...

Fun to have your own pool. Sad to see summer end but when you live in the desert it last a little longer. Brent use to swim on Christmas in Tucson.

Amy said...

I loved watching your slide show of Casper's first day at school. The swimming one looked fun too. I kept telling Abby she would take lessons this summer, but we never did. I'm soooo lame! Your kids are lucky to have a mom like you!

Diane said...

That "baby blue tattoo" is rich!