Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Sand between my toes


Seven loads of laundry later, I'm STILL walking around at home, feeling sand in between my toes left over from the beach...or is it just that I'm dreaming I'm still at the beach?

Our trip to Refugio State Beach over the 4th of July was certainly one of those vacations that has been hard to recover from. Foremost, we really miss being with our friends from Ridgecrest. The kids especially miss the freedom to run and roam with their buds in the water, in the sand and in the campground. It was so refreshing to see them all get along without any residual pushing or shoving. I surprised myself with a morning of Boogie Boarding that started out with a mouthful of water. Matt captured that moment perfectly (refer to slideshow). Whitney surprised me, too, with her joy in the water and in the sand, where before she's always been afraid or bored. Casper was determined to take both Stewarts (his brother and the Call's son) boogie boarding, though they weren't too interested in the water. Casper did great on the board! Looking for treasures in the tide pools was really beautiful and fun in the mornings. We also enjoyed sharing our campfires and food and funny stories while the kids gorged themselves on bags of marshmallows every night.

Casper has a totally new attitude about putting on his vest now that Mackay, Colin and Simon all gave it a try.

I already really miss some of the women I love most in the world--the ones who have helped me to be a better mom and person (you know who you are)! That Mongolian BBQ we ate for Kathryn's bday wasn't bad, either! Matt and I had our first date in a really long time thanks to Charity and Ben Call watching our kids while a few couples went to a great steakhouse in Solvang. We so owe you!

The 4th of July started out with a traditional parade around the campground and we couldn't be left out. Matt was very proud of his new bike and seat for the kids. It was something to watch him stay balanced!

Yes, I still haven't recovered...and I hope that sand stays between my toes until next summer. Thanks for such a great time!

5 comments:

theloulie said...

It was so good to see you and your family!

Amy said...

I'm glad you could have such a fun time and see everyone. Sounds like a blast! I miss them all too.

n8'swife said...

Wow! What a fun time you guys had. I love the bike!

turning about said...

We all miss everyone too! Thanks for the memories. I think I need you to send me a CD of the great pics that you took!

kjha said...

I love living it all over again through these slide shows and blogs. It was a great vacation! SO glad you were there.