Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Dog days of summer



The one good thing about it being so warm in the day here is that the pool is like a big bathtub at night. I couldn't resist this picture of Stewart falling asleep in the pool in the floatie; it reminded me that the summer is coming to an end and we have a few days to sit back and relax before the hectic schedule begins on August 10.

I have mixed feelings. While it's been a great summer with lots of fun with our family and friends, I will be glad for the normal schedule, cooler temperatures and the fun school activities in the fall. While I'm excited for Whitney to start kindergarten (where has the time gone?), I don't agree with such a long school day from 8:40 - 3:40. It'll be a big adjustment for the kids to be gone from home so long. It'll be an adjustment for Stewart. It'll be an adjustment for me.

To give summer a big farewell, we've been keeping busy. At the end of July, my mom (Grandma Casper) came to visit and help me out with some medical appointments while Matt was on Reserve Duty. The kids enjoyed her stories, movies and Diet Coke!



The next weekend, we went camping with our friends, the Carlsons. They are terrific people and easy to be with. Matt and I were unusually stressed as Matt got home from his two week reserve duty just hours before we headed up to Mormon Lake and we forgot quite a few things, but Matt did get out on the canoe with Mark, Bella and Joshua, and Casper and Whitney. Carla is a great cook and I'd go camping with her, anytime! One highlight was the game, Splash Out, where you pass around a ball filled with a water balloon that breaks when the time runs out...the kids and adults loved it!





Today we went to the Childrens' Museum for several hours with Cambria and her Grandma, Judy. The kids kept so busy, it was 4 p.m. before we knew it. I loved watching them all interact together in the exhibits.





I've been letting the kids use my camera (yikes!) for summer projects. Casper is making a Star Wars still shot movie that I'm still trying to set to music (to be posted later) and Whitney spent quite a lot of time posing her dog, Shotzy. It's really cool to see your kids grow up and do things they've never done before.



Last on our summer list was getting our new baby, Ping. This is Casper's insulin pump. We'll keep you updated on the progress, but overall we're excited to have him join our family. The first 3 weeks have been rocky, but I think I've gotten the basal rates to a point that Casper actually woke up with a blood sugar of 93 yesterday and today and has stayed within 30 points of that, even after eating. It's made a huge difference in how Casper feels (and in how he acts).

Enjoy your 'dog days of summer' while they're still here!

P.S.NOT part of my summer enjoyment were the TWO speeding tickets I received in July from the 'Automated Traffic Enforcement' cameras that are so famous on our lovely Phoenix freeways. I haven't driven I-17 South all that often, so I missed the short speed trap that drops to 55. I was driving 66 and 67 mph. Each ticket is $181.50!! I could have bought some really cute clothes! :(

1 comment:

The HousewifeTravels said...

Glad I'm not the only one. I got a ticket for going 52MPH on China Lake. I was late for picking up girls for girls camp! Yikes!