Today is my mom's birthday. She is 61 today (sorry, mom!)
I remember when my brother graduated from high school in 1993 and she cried and cried because the doctor had told her years ago that if she decided to have children, due to her health, she wouldn't see us graduate from high school. A morbid thought, but one I'm sure she thought about often in her life. Yet, she still chose to have my brother and me. She raised us, too, and now has lived to see not only our high school graduations, but our college graduations, marriages, and to know and love her four grandchildren, 16 years later.
I talked to her this morning as she headed home after her nail appointment and she giggled over Stewart's cute comments and my terrible singing of, "Happy Birthday." We talked about how hard it was for her to see me grow up with diabetes as she felt responsible and worried for me. Some days she probably regretted her choice, for my sake. I don't--which helps me through those days of regret as I watch my own son grow up with diabetes and other, even more difficult health challenges.
Motherhood is an awesome responsibility and a terrific blessing, too. On a few days thrown in there, it is a tremendous burden. Those are the days, though, that help us moms feel grateful for the days when our kids run to us, smiling, to tell us about some accomplishment, a kind word from a friend, a coveted invitation to a birthday party. The days when they wrap their arms around you or play a game with their brother or sister. I'm so grateful for my mom and how she plugged away, living life and being a mom. She has the greatest ideas--like that sticker collection book she made me from slide protectors. She always made the best Halloween costumes and was able to alter any dress for high school dances. She made clothes for my dolls, decorated the house, tole painted and showed us how to work hard in the yard and towards any goal that is worth working for.
After going to beauty school when I was 4 years old, she seemed to do everyone's hair in the neighborhood. In fact, I never had anyone else cut, perm or cut my hair until I was 23 year old and on my mission! She taught me to love crafts and to write thank you notes. She did all the chauffering to piano lessons, school, seminary and sports events and helped host sorority and church parties for my friends. Even when I forgot my lunch or school project, she always saved my day. She even took us toilet papering! She also always listened to my ramblings, even late at night, after dates, and the phone calls from college. She still does!
I'm so grateful for all my mom still does for me and my kids. I love you! Happy Birthday, Mom!
Wednesday, September 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
What an awesome tribute. I'll never forget walking into your dining area and there she was, texturing your ceiling!
That was a nice post. I know she'll appreciate it. I'm sure in all she did it helped to have a daughter like you!
That was really nice. Mom's are awesome!
Great job! I love the picture of the two of you on your wedding day. Beautiful!
What a fantastic tribute to a wonderful mom. I've always loved her sense of humor, her creative talents and her ability to do anything she set her mind to. It was wonderful having her just across the street for 16 years. I'll always count her as one of my best friends. How lucky you are to have her for your mother.
Post a Comment