Monday, December 19, 2011

That's What It's All About





(these photos are from last year--Dec 24, 2010)

Tonight for family home evening we had some friends over to read Luke 2 and re-enact the Nativity. Stuffed sheep--Check. Eyeore as donkey--Check. Angel costume and Star--Check. Manger and baby--Check. Total chaos--Check. It WAS fun, even though our dog Oscar ended up in the manger with the doll and kids laughed through the entire narration.

Now I'm listening to my kids and husband play Monopoly. Is writing on my blog an excuse to miss out on playing Monopoly? Maybe. I get tense just thinking about it! :) I did want to share that it was Casper's turn this week to give a talk in Primary. I'm constantly being reminded that amid all the 'Crazy Christmas Preparations,' you HAVE to make time for what it's all about.

"In December, we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. We sing and think about that peaceful night when He was born in a humble stable. One day, He will come again but in great glory. No one, not even the angels, knows exactly when He will come again. However, the scriptures tell us this about His Second Coming: “I am Jesus Christ, the Son of God; wherefore, gird up your loins (which means to be brave and righteous) and I will suddenly come to my temple” (D&C 36:8).

Both Simeon and Anna were at the temple and saw Baby Jesus when He was there. They had been hoping and waiting to see the Messiah, or Savior. (See Luke 2:25–38.)

When He was twelve years old, He surprised the educated men in the temple with His understanding and knowledge. They knew the law and the commandments, yet the boy Jesus taught them. (See Luke 2:41–47.)

The “more righteous” of the Nephites saw the resurrected Savior when He appeared to them at the temple. Jesus Christ comforted and blessed them and filled them with joy and peace.

My friend Spencer was sealed to his family 2 years ago in the Mesa, AZ temple. My family and I were so happy for them and we drove to the temple to wait outside and celebrate with them. He was so surprised to see us. I was so happy, too, and it helped me want to go inside someday.

Jesus Christ is the Messiah. Those who keep the commandments will one day rejoice to stand in His presence. If we choose to do what is right and learn to help and comfort others, we can be the kind of people who will be at the temple when He comes in glory."

Plus, when you try to do what's right and help and comfort others, there is so much more happiness and peace in life!! I'm just praying that my kids come to understand that as they grow. Jesus is the REASON for the SEASON!

No comments: