Monday, July 21, 2008

Thumbs



Oh the thumb-sucker's thumb
May look wrinkled and wet
And withered, and white as the snow,
But the taste of a thumb
Is the sweetest taste yet
(As only we thumbsuckers know).

--Shel Silverstein

I was driving home from the library today with my kids after an afternoon of sun at the community pool and tuned into the 'cacophony' of sucking noises from the back of the minivan. ALL THREE of my kids were at sleep's door, sucking their thumbs like crazy. My oldest, Casper, has started to ask for help to stop in the daytime, but I'm not sure what to do at night. The dentist recommended adhesive tape, which we've tried and which lasts as long as Casper and Whitney can each stand their thumbs being bound with tape. We've used the Numbzit, or yucky tasting polish, which lasted as long as it took to suck it off.

So, what's a mom to do?

2 comments:

n8'swife said...

We don't have thumb suckers, but we have nose pickers at our house! Good Luck with it!

theloulie said...

I sucked my finger till I was fourish. My parents threatened to put tabasco on it to get me to stop.

Maybe offer some kind of reward for making it through the day?