Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Old mommy saw too many farms...

Well, not really, but I think I'm done visiting farms for the year. It's just too cold. Like 60 degrees. Only in Phoenix, Arizona, would 60 degrees and some wind be considered legitimate excuses to suffer on a field trip and cancel baseball practice. I even thought to myself when considering whether to leave my jacket on the bus today, "It's 60 degrees, how wonderful! Enjoy it!" So I headed out with 100 first graders and had to get a sub for my group as I headed right back to the bus for my jacket. I guess a 30 degree swing in temperature in two days can do that to a girl. I did survive, though, and came out ahead with 6 radishes, 2 cucumbers, a zucchini, 1 pumpkin and the delight of my 7 year old who still thinks it's great that his mom is riding on the bus with him and his friends. Priceless.

From Collages

On Friday we celebrated Matt's 42nd with a visit to Schnepf Farm in Queen Creek, AZ. Quite a little jaunt, but well worth the drive and the $12 each (Stewart is still endearlingly free). After arriving at 2 p.m., we hit the hayride, Whitney had her face painted, we checked out the Arizona mushy pumpkin patch and overall enjoyed the beautiful farm and wide open spaces and mature trees. Eight hours later, the kids still didn't want to go home. Because we started in the day, they were able to ride all the rides without a wait. Stewart LOVED the roller coaster and swings. Unbeknownst to us, he rode well under the height requirement. That night, we paid the price when his passage was denied for a repeat. Whitney even 'tried' the roller coaster, something we've been practicing, and she decided she probably didn't like it. I was proud of her for trying. We rode the train at dusk, the perfect time to ride before the 'spooks' turned scary. Then we ended the night by roasting marshmallows and listening to some blue grass music. I loved the carousel, the gocarts, and the numerous playyards, treehouses, trains and places for the kids to run. We'll definitely return. Next year.

From Collages

1 comment:

Wendy said...

SUCH FUN! And the fun begins....this is a hectic time of year, but the memories are SO worth it!!!!!!!!!