I looked out my parents' living room window today and saw all the flags. I was puzzled for a moment, Labor Day was Monday. Then I remembered that today marks that anniversary of one of the most terrible days in my nation's history since I've been alive: September 11, 2001. It is fitting, too that I'm here in Utah, again, visiting my parents as I was back then.
"Matt and I had just been married that January and he was deployed at the end of August to Saudi Arabia. It was a difficult separation for me, so I was in Salt Lake City visiting family and working on a project for a professor that had overseen my thesis at the University of Utah. I was sitting in the car, waiting for my mom to take me up to the U. and listening to the radio. I heard the announcer break in and say that a second plane had crashed into the twin towers in New York City. I first thought it was an advertisement. Then I ran into the house to tell my mom and turn on the TV. I watched in disbelief and cried. I went up to the University but didn't do any work, just watched TV with all of the students and teachers in the cafeteria. Matt didn't call from Saudi Arabia very often due to the difference in time and his schedule, but he made sure to call me and his parents as soon as he could to let us know the base there was safe but in total lockdown. For the rest of his time there, 3 months, he carried a gas mask wherever he went and never left the base. A year later, Matt and I were able to visit Ground '0' on the 4th of July. We talked about several men he had known in his career that died that day in the airplanes. I cried then and felt so angry that anyone could hate a nation or people enough to destroy so much, especially so many lives. I'm grateful to live in a nation where terror is not usually the norm, that I can be angry about it when it does happen and that so many good people have come together to heal and help each other."
My next post will give the details of what it's like since that fateful day to go through an airport and fly on an airplane with a 30 lb. compressor, a nebulizer, two insulin pumps and all the medicine that goes with them.
Saturday, September 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment