Saturday, October 24, 2009

A Halloween craft?


OK, so I've never posted a craft on my blog, but I love reading other people's blogs for craft ideas. This one turned out so cute, I just had to share it. The idea came from a MOMS Club activity that we weren't able to attend. I was excited when a friend made them at her daughter's birthday party, where we made the kids' t-shirts. From there, we made dad a shirt for his birthday.

The kids' upside down footprint made the perfect ghost. Their hands (minus the thumb) overlapping at the palm made a scary spider, even fuzzy around the edges. I thought it especially clever to add my OWN hand print spider right on his shoulder. :) Regular acrylic paint worked just great and washing the shirts beforehand prepares the surface better to absorb the paint. We used fabric paint for the eyes.

It took 3 tries to get the transfer to work right, but it was pretty easy once I followed the directions on the package. I didn't know about the mirror image feature in Word/Publisher, but it worked just like it said it would to rotate the text and pictures before printing them on the transfer paper. This feature can be found under the 'Arrange' button, then select, 'Flip horizontally.'

TIPS: Use a paper plate under the prints when using black paint so the color doesn't bleed through to the other side. Have a bucket of water handy to rinse off the paint.

MOMS: Make a shirt for you, too!



3 comments:

kjha said...

That is very cute. I might actually get John to wear something for Halloween if I do that!

Amy said...

Pretty cute idea. They look awesome!

turning about said...

Good idea!