Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A is for Apple

Autumn day, autumn day,
God gives richest gifts today.
Look on every side and see
Pleasant things for you and me.
Apples red and apples yellow,
Round and juicy, sweet and mellow,
Load the trees till they bend over
And their branches brush the clover.
Child, be glad with all that lives,
But forget not God, who gives.

I just love this time of year as the weather realizes the calendar page has turned to October. This Primary song was a perfect description of our trip to Utah to pick apples and celebrate Fall with our families. The first branch we picked from was literally broken from all the fruit and the kids ate apples nonstop, right off the trees. I enjoyed watching JoAnn's patience with the kids as she shared her process of making homemade applesauce.


Early this afternoon Stewart and I spent the day OUTSIDE while he rode Whitney's scooter and I put out Halloween decorations. After school, Whitney and Casper are playing OUTSIDE on our half-built playyard. Acorn squash is baking in the oven, stuffed with sausage and apples from my mother-in-law's apple tree.

I WAS THANKFUL I wasn't sweating!
I AM THANKFUL no one is fighting!
I AM THANKFUL dinner is done!
I AM JUST SO GRATEFUL.

A nice, early beginning to the season of Thanksgiving.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

MMMMM....I have some acorn squash...but no super delicious yummy apples straight from the tree!!!!! Just the stuff from Safeway..

HIP HIP HOORAY FOR BLESSINGS ALL AROUND!!!!!

kjha said...

I did not know that was a primary song (thought you wrote it) but we'll have to learn it. Glad you can play OUTSIDE! :)

turning about said...

So much fun. I miss picking apples at my parents and doing all of that fun stuff.