Friday, November 13, 2009

I'm not a good cook.

I'm really not. I have good intentions, just not that intuitiveness that is key to consistently good meals. However, I DO have a few tried and true recipes that ALWAYS get me into trouble at parties: they give the impression that I'm a good cook. I just know a good recipe when I see one. So, I wanted to share two that we use at this time of year.

*Beware, if you make one of these, people will think you're a good cook, too!

*Ginger-Cranberry Chutney

1 package (12 oz.) cranberries
1 large tart apple, peeled, cored & diced
3/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup unsweetened apple juice concentrate
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 Tbls. grated orange peel
1 ts. ground allspice
1-1/2 ts. ground ginger
1/4 ts. ground cloves
1/4 ts. cayenne pepper
3 packages (8 oz.) cream cheese
Crackers

In a saucepan, combine cranberries, apple, sugar, apple juice, raisins, lemon juice, orange peel & spices. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 25 minutes or until thickened. Cool. Serve 1 cup of chutney over each package of cream cheese. Spread on crackers.

*Sweet Potato Bake

Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Ready In: 1 hour 5 minutes
Yields: 7 servings

Ingredients:
(Main):
3 ½ cups mashed sweet potatoes
¼ cup milk
¼ cup orange juice
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup white sugar
½ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter, softened
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
(Topping):
¼ cup butter, softened
¾ cup packed light brown sugar
½ cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup chopped pecans

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease one 2-quart casserole dish.
2. In a large bowl, blend together the sweet potatoes, milk, orange juice, eggs, vanilla, sugar, salt, butter, nutmeg and cinnamon.Pour into prepared casserole dish.
3. Mix together the ¼ cup butter, brown sugar, flour and pecans; sprinkle over sweet potatoe mixture.
4.Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes.

From Allrecipes.com

3 comments:

Marnie said...

I buy extra cranberries every year just to make your chutney. Yummmm I can hardly wait until Thanksgiving so I can make it again. I will have to try the sweet potato next. I think everything you have made for me it yum. love and miss you cuz.

Wendy said...

Sigh...I love Fall...

Jackie said...

So it WAS you who brought the cranberry dip stuff to the Chili Cook Off. At MNO last night we were all talking about it, but we couldn't remember who brought it! Thanks for posting the recipe! And you ARE a good cook! :)